Daren Daniels gets to catch up with Nathaniel Bendayan, founder of NB Diamonds.
Lets got all get to know man behind this diamond brand thats getting known throughout the trade.
I was delighted when Nathaniel said yes to working with Jewel Ads especially with all the marketing and sponsorship the company was doing via the traditional routes but then I met him at the Jewellery Show for the first time and then understood that the statements on the website about personable service and customers being important weren’t just words they are part of him.
So, without writing any unnecessary words, lets here from Nathaniel himself.
Q: Have you always been in the jewellery trade, tell us a little about your history
- Growing up jewellery was in my blood, it was my family trade internationally for decades. My earliest memories as a child are of my father showing me catalogues of Italian designs and discussing with him the intricate elements that go in to the creation and assembly of each piece. From as young as 7 I was amazed and intrigued by the industry. After student life at Central St martins, I went on to work within the wholesale jewellery trade for over 15 years, largely with other key players in the wholesale market and have built up much of my experience and knowledge of the industry that has really laid the foundation and paved the way to taking the step to begin NB Diamonds, my own family business. Now as our business enters our 7th year trading we can see how this was the right choice at the right time.
Q: Where did the motivation come from to setup NB Diamonds
- Around the time I decided to start NB Diamonds there were many personal life changes taking place. My mother had not long passed away and we had had our first child. It was time for us to think ahead to what the future would hold for us as a family and to create something that would be a legacy as well as enabling a balance with work within family life.
Q: What do you like most about what you do.
- There is nothing mundane about working with diamonds. Each day brings with it a new challenge, whether it be to source specific diamonds for a client, create an intricate bespoke piece, or utilising my own creative flair to master exquisite ranges with diamonds from around the world. But what really brings the most satisfaction is speaking with our clients daily and building wonderful relationships that allow us to fulfil orders and requests of every kind and know that we are bringing our clients the level of service and satisfaction that we want to be known for.
Q: What advise would you give to someone thinking of setting up there own business
- Specifically in the early days, we took many risks and had to make difficult decisions to enable our growth and expansion. We have worked very hard to reach this stage but it has always been the determination to succeed in offering a unique warm and approachable service to our clients new and ongoing that is our key to the advancement of our business.
Q: What’s your most memorable moment
- our very first sale trading as NB Diamonds has been a proud and memorable moment. It was from that instance we witnessed the visualisation coming into fruition, it was knowing then and there that this was the start of something special. We relied upon the trust and relationships with those first clients who took a leap of faith in us in those very early days, and it is those clients who we have to thank for where we have reached now. We consider these clients more than friends now, they are like family to us.
Q: Most people take some time out at weekends, what do you get up to or are you working
- there is nothing we cherish more than the family time at weekends and holidays. We all work very hard, and of course take calls all hours of the day and every day of the week but spending a Sunday out as a family together, be it at the park or visiting friends, we know these are moments we only live once.
Q: You’ve been busy sponsoring and partying in 2022, whats been your highlight of the year
- having the fortune to exhibit at our first major trade fair this year has been a large step for us and a proud moment for us to mark the productivity and gains NB Diamonds have advanced to as a supplier across the UK. It was a unique and gratifying opportunity to engage personally with our treasured clients as well as be able to direct our services to new clients with whom we look forward to building business within the months and years to come. It was equally pleasing to meet with retailers who have been trading for decades and see how they have weathered many a storm and have come out so strong. It is inspiring to talk with people from all sectors of the trade and learn from every individual how they have got to where they stand today.